I'm having serious cabin fever today! It's starting to feel springy outside and I really want to go out and do something, but it's colder than it looks, so being outside isn't really that fun. I think our upcoming vacation is going to be just what I need. I think it's warmer in Memphis than it is in Idaho right now!
So since I'm bored this afternoon, I've decided to make a 75 things about me blog post. I always love reading "about me" lists on Facebook. I've learned lots of things about my friends that way!
I was going to do 30 things, but I've got a bunch of time to kill this afternoon so I'm going to go for 75. I'm not even sure that there are 75 interesting things about me, so we'll see how it goes. :)
1. I'm the middle child of three kids. I have a sister who is five years older than me and a brother who is five years younger.
2. I'm left handed
3. I was born and raised in Idaho
4. I'm LDS (Mormon)
5. My favorite color is red
6. I hate tomatoes. HATE them.
7. But I love tomato soup. Go figure.
8. I'm TERRIFED of spiders. I often have dreams that I have spiders on me.
9. My first memory was from when I was two. My family moved to a new town and while we were looking for a house we lived in a little apartment for a few months. I have a five second sliver of memory of the first time we went into that apartment. I remember being carried by one of my parents and I remember an orange chair. I have no other memories of that apartment at all and my next memories are from when I was about four.
10. I have about 50 cousins and I absolutely love family reunions.
11. I named Josh after Rachel's boyfriend on Friends. I rarely admit that. :) There were a few episodes where she was dating a guy named Joshua and she kept saying his name over and over and it stuck in my head.
12. My dad died 3 weeks before my 21st birthday.
13. I'm 5 foot 10 and growing up I was always the tallest kid in my class. I had a complex about my height for years.
14. My husband is three inches shorter than me. Apparently I've outgrown my height complex. :)
15. My first date was with my best friends brother.
16. I fought like cats and dogs with my sister when I was young. Once when I was maybe 8 or so she wanted to borrow a pair of my shoes to wear to school the next day and I didn't want her to, so I wore my shoes to bed so she couldn't take them in the morning. My kids LOVE that story. :)
17. When I was young I wanted to be a writer when I grew up. So does Josh, and I love that we share that.
18. The closest I've ever come to having my writing published was being on the school newspaper staff in high school.
19. I was a tomboy when I was a kid. I grew up sort of in the country (sort of, because we were right on the edge of the city) and there were fields and horses and farmland around me. I live in the suburbs now and sometimes I just crave open spaces and farmland. It's my dream to live on a farm.
20. My grandparents are my heros.
21. I used to be a really good swimmer. There was a public pool near by my house and I practically grew up in that pool. I rarely swim anymore.
22. I've been in love twice and have had my heart broken once.
23. I love country music.
24. When I was young I used to be obsessed with living in New York City for some reason. I wanted to live in New York City and be a writer.
25. When I was 19 I got a job as a nanny in New Jersey, less than 20 miles from NYC to fufill my dream of going there. I LOVED New York City. I miss it.
26. I love to travel but I hate to fly.
27. I love rain and thunderstorms.
28. My favorite place in the world is the Oregon Coast.
29. I love animals. LOVE. THEM. I want to work at the zoo.
30. I had my first kiss when I was 16.
31. My dream vacation would not be to a tropical beach. Tropical beaches don't really interest me that much. I like mountains, I like forests, I like rain, and I like really remote places that no one else would be interested in. I would much rather go to somewhere like Scotland, Ireland or Germany than to Cancun. I want to go on a cruise to Alaska.
32. I want to be a foster parent someday.
33. I went to college to be a social worker, but after a year of social work and sociology classes I decided that I could never do it. I'm too soft hearted for that kind of job.
34. I love to read. When I was young I could would read 4-5 books a week. I had a library in my bedroom, complete with a card catalog. :) The library is one one my favorite places.
35. I'm not girly. I love computers, I love electronic equipment and other totally nerdy things. In my life I've had a lot more male friends than female friends.
36. I miss my hometown a LOT. I'm incredibly nostalgic about the town I grew up in. I desperately want to raise my kids there, but everytime I go back I just get sad that life isn't the same there as it was when I was a kid and then I remember why I don't live there anymore.
37. I turn 34 next month. I still feel 16.
38. My biggest pet peeve is when people shorten words. It's pregnant, not preggo. Just say the whole word PLEASE!
39. I have two big regrets in life. I regret that I didn't invite my dad to visit me in New Jersey and go to a Yankees game with me. He would have loved that. I also regret that I didn't finish college. I WILL finish, one of these days.
40. I'm addicted to Diet Pepsi.
41. My favorite movie is a Korean movie called The Classic and I'm secretly mad at all my friends and family because not one single one of them will watch it with me because it has subtitles. Come on, people. Just humor me.
42. My favorite book is The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom.
43. I love documentaries.
44. I'm very introverted. There's always a lot going on in my head, but I'm not likely to share most of it with people in person.
45. I'm extremely squeemish. I can't handle blood or anything medically related. I'm scared of hospitals. I have to turn my head when they take my blood.
46. My first job was at Burger King. I worked there for two days.
47. I'm happiest when I'm outside, and even happier if there are animals involved.
48. I'm scared of airplanes crashing into my house. Military planes fly over our house sometimes and they scare me every time. It's a totally stupid fear, I realize, but it still scares me!
49. I cry easily. Too easily.
50. I'm sittng here listening to my Pandora radio station as I type this list and Vanessa Williams "Save The Best For Last" just started playing. That was my prom theme. That song conjurs up high school memories.
51. I think I'm one of the only people I know who would redo high school. I loved it and I miss that time in my life.
52. I never thought I could love someone as much as I love my kids. I absolutely adore them. My biggest fear in life is something happening to them.
53. My favorite memory of my dad is going camping when we were little and he used to tell us really ridiculous made up stories to get us to go to sleep. My dad was really funny. I miss him.
54. One of favorite childhood memories is playing board games with my family on Christmas afternoons. I wish I could rewind life and redo just one of those days over again.
55. I met Shawn at work. I didn't want to go out with him the first time he asked me out. I only went out with him because I was too polite say no. After that first date I wanted to spend all my time with him. I regret my first impressions of him because I was so wrong!
56. I got engaged on Christmas Eve 1996. That seems like a million years ago! The story of our engagement is hillarious, but that story would require its own blog post on another day.
57. I don't carry a purse. I've tried, but I hate them. I carry a debit card and a cellphone in my pocket and that's it.
58. I don't wear my wedding ring. I'm too afraid of losing it.
59. I love my husband. That's not any big revelation or anything, but I love him. A lot.
60. I envy people who can speak two languages. I wish I could take a magic pill and be fluent in Korean. I love the language but it's really hard to learn.
61. I like to research random things. Google is my friend.
62. I've had the same e-mail address for 14 years and I don't have plans of ever changing it.
63. I love to hear from old friends. I hate losing touch with people. If we were friends growing up I've probably thought about you and wondered what you're up to a million times.
64. There are a few relationships in my life that never got proper closure and it still bothers me.
65. I wish I could sing. I can't. If you know me in real life, chances are you've never heard me sing. That's because I don't sing when there are people around. My mom and my brother are both really musical. I didn't inherit that gene.
66. My elbows are double jointed or something and they can bend at a really weird angle. It freaks people out.
67. I love the smell of lilacs. We had lilacs in my backyard growing up and every time I smell them it reminds me of home.
68. I have really vivid dreams. I woke up really mad at Shawn this morning because in my dream last night he bought a $400,000 cabin, and we totally can't afford that.
69. It's my dream to someday own a cabin in real life. But one we can AFFORD!
70. If I could do anything right this minute it would be to pack the kids in the car and go out to the lake for a BBQ. I'm craving that right now. But the lake is probably freezing right now, Josh has to go to Scouts in an hour and Shawn has to work late tonight, so I'm thinking that probably isn't going to happen today.
71. If a genie gave me three wishes I would wish for Clarissa to be here right now, I would wish for my dad to here to meet my kids and I would wish for our house to be paid off.
72. My first car was a Volkswagon Atlantic. That's the Mexican version of a Jetta, and I've never seen another one since. It was old, the paint wasn't great, the spedometer was in kilometers and it shut off if I drove through a big puddle, but I loved that car. I bought it for $900. Many great high school memories were made in that car.
73. If I could redo my life, knowing what I know now, I don't think I'd change anything drastic. I would have made a few different decisions along the way, but I think in the end they would have all led me right here. I love my kids, I love my husband and I think things turned out just the way they were supposed to.
74. It's starting to rain again now and I'm loving it. Somehow I've gone from being in a want to go out in the sunshine mood to a want to sit and watch it rain mood.
75. I was origionally planning to do a list of 100 things, but I think anyone reading this has got to be bored out of their skull by now, so I'm cutting it short. You'll just have to wonder what the other 25 amazing things about me might have been. :)