Saturday, June 20, 2009

The whole story

Yesterday we left the house at about 1:00 or so to make the six and a half hour drive to Portland for a quick little family vacation. I had my Blackberry in sight so that I could keep checking my e-mail for the update e-mail. I absolutely didn't think we were going to get a referral, I was just hoping to at least read in the Friday update that SOMEONE had gotten a referral.

About an hour and a half in to the drive my Blackberry rang. That's odd because I rarely get incoming calls on my cellphone. There are only a few people that even have the number and the only person that really calls it is Shawn and he was in the car with me! So I knew the second it rang that it was the agency. I just knew it. I grabbed the phone to answer it and the darn thing chose that moment to lock up and I couldn't answer it! It quit ringing and I started freaking out. I checked the missed call message and it was the agency. I started yelling at Shawn to pull over while I called them back.

Our social worker answered the phone and as soon as she heard it was me she said "I have good news!". That's all I needed to hear and I started sobbing before she could even give me any info. I could barely stop crying enough to listen to what she was saying! There we were on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere in Oregon hearing for the first time that we had a daughter. I'll never forget it.

I can't share a lot of info yet because we have to send back paperwork officially accepting the referral first. I have photos of her, her medical reports, I know when her birthday is, what her Korean name is and the circumstances of her adoption.

What I can tell you is that she was born in February and that she is a chunky monkey!! She's not the tiny little thing that for some reason I imagined she would be! She has smooshy cheeks that I can't wait to kiss.

A few minutes after I got off the phone with the agency I got an e-mail with her photo and info. It was a really neat moment when we all gathered around my Blackberry on the side of the road and watched her photo come up for the first time. I'm happy that we all got to see her together. It was a neat family moment that I'll never forget.

She was born the first part of February so she's actually not quite five months old yet. Korean babies normally aren't referred for an international adoption until they're five months old but every now and then they release them a week or two early for some reason. I'm not positive but I THINK we have to wait for another week or so until she's officially five months old before we can start all the paperwork to bring her home. I have a million questions to ask the agency when we get back into town and that's one of them, so I don't know all the details of what happens next. I'll know more in a few days when we get home.

I'm really excited, but honestly a little overwhelmed! I kind of wish that we weren't on vacation right now. I need to really sit down and go through all the paperwork and process everything, but I've got two kids who need to be entertained for the next few days. It's hard to keep my mind on the vacation right now. I didn't sleep well in the hotel bed at all last night and we spent the day at the zoo today, so I'm really tired and overwhelmed by all the information coming at me. We're having a fun time but I'm honestly looking forward to going home so that I can process everything and figure out what happens next.

So there's everything I can tell you right now. I'll be sharing photos and more info sometime next week.

Thank you all for the sweet comments you posted yesterday. My cellphone buzzed with new e-mail constantly the whole trip to Portland! I enjoyed reading them in the car, it's so fun to have everyone share this with me!

Oh, one important thing: before all of this happened I decided to register the web address and move my blog there. It was supposed to continue to redirect from the blogspot address for a while, but of course the day I announced the big news it stopped redirecting. If you can't get into my blog from the regular address, try, and change your bookmark so that you'll continue to be able to get in.

More info soon!


Kaylene said...

Yay!!! Glad to hear more and HUGE (((HUGS)))!!!

J said...

That is so exciting...can't wait to see pics!

Crock said...

Wendy, I have been following your story since it started waaaayyyy back on the Photographing your family board on the old bbc...

Though I haven't posted, I have checked in nearly everyday to see if "today's the day" - - -

Well, I just checked in and was not expecting what I saw. What a WONDERFUL Father's Day gift! (did you have this planned all along?? ;p )

Sending SUPER HUGE Congrats to your entire family!!!

And, I will now be checking back each day for the first glimpse of YOUR Daughter, Clarissa!!!

Yay!! :)

Renee said...

I have goosebumps, I'm so happy for you and your family! I can't wait to see the pictures of your smooshy cheeked chunky monkey Clarissa!!
In the meantime, try your best to really enjoy this time with the boys. You're making memories with them now and will be able to tell Clarissa about how you guys celebrated her introduction into your family before she even arrived here!
Renee (aka SebBenLuc)

April*AKBD* said...

So, so awesome!!! I can not wait to see her! Congrats again!


Anonymous said...

This is FANTASTIC!! I'm so excited for you all. I can't wait to see pictures and read more!

Tracie said...

Our girls sound so much alike! Our baby has what I call "marshmallow cheeks" and I just can't stand that I can't kiss them yet! Our baby is a chunky monkey, too. I can't wait to compare notes!

Watty said...

Dangit! I thought you were going to pick her up! I jumped back online to see your update at 2:30am because I wanted to see her little cheekers before I went to bed! Grrrr! HURRRYAPALREADY!!! :)

BTW, what's your info on Blackberry, you can be my buddy #2! :)

Joy said...

I was one of the ones who couldn't get into your blog... figures that you get your referral! lol Kinda like you being on vacation.
I'm so happy with this news!! I can't wait to hear more, and to see her cute chubby cheeks! Congratulations!!!!

Unknown said...

Aww, Wendy! I am so happy for you and your family!!! I was telling my husband about the story, and I got all choked up and cried tears of joy for you!

A. said...

Soooooo excited for you, Wendy! Have been following your story from the beginning. LOVE knowing you are finally getting Clarrisa.

Trace said...

I am so, so happy for you and your family! God is so good!!! Can't wait to see pics of your new daughter!

Minyo said...

That is AWESOME!! Great timing :)

I've been following your blog for a long time now. Glad that your "waiting" is over and you can continue planning her homecoming.

Just Me said...



Marla said...

Congrats! can't wait to hear the details and see pictures!

Unknown said...

Wendy, I'm so happy for you and your family. I had been trying to get on your blog all weekend and could not. I was really hoping you got some good news and low and behold I log onto babycenter and there is was! I can't wait to see pics of her!

Rebecca said...

I am so thrilled for you and your family. Even though we never met, I have been following your story. I have tears in my eyes for you!

Jenn said...


I haven't been able to upload your blog since Friday, it must've been all that excited traffic!!

Congratulations on your referral, it's fabulous that Clarissa is out there and waiting, finally!!!

Kim said...

Congratulations Wendy and family. I couldn't get on all weekend either. I'm so glad I came on today and saw your wonderful news. I think I'm still in shock over it so I cannot even begin to imagine how you feel. I can't wait to see her adorable picture and "hear" all the details.