Friday, August 21, 2009

What a day :(

Now that I have access my computer I can finally tell the story of our day at the hospital.

I got a phone call from Josh's school this afternoon letting me know that he got hurt at recess and needed someone to pick him up. Apparently he was walking across a balance beam at recess and lost his balance and fell and hit his elbow on the metal bar and then landed on his arm. We took one look at it and went to the ER.

After many hours at the ER they confirmed what we already suspected. His arm is broken just above his elbow. They thought they could probably just cast it and send him home, but once the orthopedic doc had a chance to look at the x-rays he decided that it needs a pin in it.

So here were are in a hospital room. They've admitted him for the night and they're doing surgery first thing in the morning. He's got a brace on his arm for now, and an IV in his other arm, so he's pretty uncomfortable. They've been giving him morphine which seems to be helping with the pain, but he's still had a pretty rough day.

He's really scared about having surgery and it breaks my heart. This is the first time he's really had any major medical proceedure done. It's the first time either of my kids have had surgery or stayed overnight in a hospital actually.

Thank goodness that we have wonderful friends who have jumped in to help. My two good friends have traded off watching Matthew this evening and he's sleeping over at one of their houses tonight so that we can be with Josh. This would have been a lot more difficult without such good friends.

So tomorow morning we'll be sending our sweet boy off to surgery, which I'm really not looking forward to. It's one of those times as a parent where you wish that you could just step in and do it for them. I'd take the pain for him if I could. It's hard to stand by helplessly when I know how much he hurts.

If everything goes well he can probably go home tomorrow night, so that he can sleep in his own bed and I can spoil the crap out of him until he feels better. :) I told him that I would put the little TV in his bedroom for the next few days and I think that almost made the whole experience worth it for him. :)

So now Shawn and I are going to cram ourselves into the tiny extra bed in Josh's hospital room and attempt to sleep. One of us really should go home but we both want to be here, so we're just going to have to get extra cozy tonight.

I'll post again after his surgery tomorow.


~Sara~ said...

Hi Wendy, I'm not sure if you remember me but I just wanted to let you know your family is in my prayers. I broke my elbow and had to have the same surgery a couple of years ago. I'm a big baby, but it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I ended up with three pins and a scar, and now you can hardly even see the scar. The pain wasn't too bad either, as long as I kept up with my pain meds and kept it elevated. The kids and I call it my robot arm ;)

Sarah Prock

Celeste said...

How stressful! I hope that his surgery goes well, I'm sorry that you guys have to go through this!